Jewish Cultural Center KEDEM was established by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee as an integral part of the Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Center – the largest ethno-cultural institution in the republic. It was established in 2005 for the development of a thriving Jewish community and fulfilling the social and cultural needs of all residents of the city and the country.
The Center was designed by architect Semen Shoikhet, where the “Woodcutters” synagogue once stood from 1835 until WWII. It was reconstructed thanks to the generosity of businessman and philanthropist Irwin Jacobs (from San Diego). Sponsors were the Federation of Jewish Communities of the City of Toronto and the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany.
The JCC runs over 40 regular programs and holds 100 concerts a year, as well as events with Jewish and international significance, attracting about 6,000 visitors.
The JCC participated in JCC Global’s mentoring/professional exchange program with Toronto.
Visit JCC KEDEM website for more information at: www.jewish.md