The Jewish Cultural Center KEDEM was established in 2005 by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee as an integral part of the Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Center, which is the largest ethno-cultural institution in the republic. It was established with the primary goal of developing a thriving Jewish community and to fulfill the social and cultural needs of the all the residents of the city and country.
The center was designed by architect Semen Shoikhet, on the place where the “Woodcutters” synagogue once stood from 1835 up until WWII. The center was able to have been built thanks to the generosity of businessman and philanthropist Irwin Jacobs (from San Diego). Sponsors were the Federation of Jewish Communities of the City of Toronto and the Conference of Jewish Material Claims against Germany.
Today the JCC runs over 50 programs and hosts 100 mass events a year, as well as events with Jewish and international significance, attracting about 10,000 visitors.
For more information – JCC KEDEM website